Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday, Sunday...

Hola darlings!  Here it is, already 11:17 a.m. and I've barely put a dent in my list of "THINGS I MUST ACCOMPLISH TODAY OR RECEIVE 20 LASHES...."  That's eyelashes, of course.  Must EXERCISE those eyelids and try to arrest the drooping and dropping.  Exercising one's eyelids and eyelashes is - torture - pure and simple.  I'll be sure to get those THINGS I MUST ACCOMPLISH TODAY done, even if I'm up all night.

That's not to say I haven't been busy since I moseyed out of bed at 7:45 a.m. EEK!  So late!  Then I made coffee and sipped it while I munched on a soft hard roll loaded with tons of butter (YUM!) and read the Sunday paper.  My Sunday ritual ever since I have started drinking coffee, I think I was about 24 at the time...

So, in-between bouts of paper reading I was up and down the ladder with the vinyl spackle, a knife, a sponge, and a sanding block.  Still in my bathrobe and PJs, eyeglasses firmly planted on my nose so I could actually see what I was doing, I tackled the areas where the paint had been removed by removal of the wallpaper border leaving behind these "depressions."  Fortunately, there were not too many of them, but before I can prime and then touch up the paint job to erase the yellow "ring around the wall" left behind by the wallpaper border, I had to patch up those depressions.  So, I went to work.  By the time I got to the last set of little depressions, I had given up sanding and wiping down, I was just mashing spackle into the depressions with my fingers and using my palms to press things flat, LOL!  So much for all my good intentions to do the job the way it should be done.  I want to make note, however, that I did start out on the first set of depressions - as well as a long narrow crack that appeared years ago above the patio door in the dinette that's been driving me crazy all this time but I'd never done anything about -- until this morning -- using the absolutely correct procedure of sanding, wiping, applying spackle in a thin layer and scraping it down, etc. etc. etc. 

The area above the patio door.  The patches and the now covered-up crack are barely visible -- and this is before final
sanding, wipe-down, priming and painting.  Can't wait to put up my new curtain rod, too!  Ugly cheap white thing, goodbye!
That takes too frigging long.  And you know what?  Unless someone literally gets up on a ladder and inspects those patches minutely, no one will ever know I didn't do all of them "by the book!"  And once they're sanded and wiped down (I'm relaxing right now while I'm letting go by to make sure the spackle is absolutely dry), and the walls from the ceiling down to just below where the border ended are primed and then painted, it will look just fine.

Just a small area of wall to paint along the opening to the family room.
Only one little lonely piece of wall stuff to remove in order to paint.
Now, I realize because I did not have the white color-matched -- an Anonymous pointed that out in a comment after I'd already bought the paint that I could have brought in a sample and had it analyzed and then color blended to match -- I may well end up taking the new paint I purchased all the way down the walls.  Fortunately, this room doesn't have all that many full walls - just one - and it's a small one at that.  The rest of the wall area in the dinette consists of the slices of wall on either side of a  6 foot wide patio door, the area above it, and about a foot of wall that forms the other end of a huge opening into the family room.  The area above that opening is the same size as the soffit that rings the 3 walls of the kitchen.  So, really, not much painting at all, since the ceiling looks just fine. 

This is the largest wall in the dinette.  Not much wall stuff to remove
to paint it.  Wonder if I could paint the thermostat in hammered bronze
with that Rustoleum spray paint I bought yesterday...  It would cost a lot to have
it relocated to a different wall, so for 21 years I've just "ignored" it, as if it wasn't even there.
This is the wall I want to turn into a gallery wall with pics of my travels & adventures.
So if it turns out the new paint at the top of the walls is glaringly obvious, I'll do the dirty and paint the dinette walls all the way to the floor (I'm going to paint the entire soffit area in the kitchen, anyway).  Yeah, that will be a major pain in the butt unless I just wing it and don't tape anything or put down any paper or anything, just throw a couple of old sheets over my dinette table.  Fortunately I don't have a lot of stuff on the walls that needs to be removed.  Over the years I have gone from a "homey" (cluttered Home Interiors addicted with tons of stuff on the walls) look to something much more streamlined (less dusting and way less frenetic!)

Okay, it's just about time to get the ladder back in position and smooth out those patches with the block sander.  I love those things!  I got the kind you can wash out - amazing!  Now, I have been thinking about starting the process to paint the kitchen cabinet handles, but I've got a ton of laundry to do and these days it seems I can only focus on one thing at a time (senility setting in?), or I'm just damn lazy.  I may save that project for next Saturday, when I don't have a half-day shopping trip planned. I wonder if the ladies from the Investment Club would even notice the changes, unless I inadvertently point them out...

Well, it's now 12:14 p.m. -- time to get a load of laundry in and get back up on that ladder and sand sand sand!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...