Sunday, August 29, 2010

More Than Man's Best Friend

The September/October 2010 issue of Archaeology Magazine has a feature story this month on man's relationship with our close canine buddies - love the cover art!

The full text is available online.  Warning - it made me cry more than once, but I'm a certified softy and dog lover.  I was not able to think of owning another dog after the death of my last faithful companion in 2004, Ms. Tasha.  She was the last of Spencer (who died in 1999) and Jocques (who died in 2001), my faithful trio.  Tasha was the last to join the household when I adopted her from the Humane Society in 1991 as an 11 month old, gangly and beautiful lab/doberman mix.  She had the coloring of a chocolate lab and the gentlest disposition I've ever met in a doggy.  Damn - it's bringing tears to my eyes right now just thinking about them, which I do every day.

I've written many times about dogs at this blog.  This article does not add any new information, and does not contain any information on the goddess/dog connection although it does allude to some "spiritual" aspects and dogs as "guardians" of souls, but overall it provides a good overview of the "why" of our enduring connection with our canine companions.

More Than Man's Best Friend
by Jarrett A. Lobell and Eric Powell
Volume 63 Number 5, September/October 2010
Dogs have been an integral part of human culture for 15,000 years...sometimes in unexpected ways

Introduction
Constant Companions
Sacrificial Dogs
Dogs of Roman Britain
Dogs as Food (I skipped this section - the thought makes me ill)
Dog Catacombs
Guardians of Souls

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...