Thursday, March 25, 2010

Squirrel: An Awwwwwhhhhh Story About a Rescued Baby Squirrel

It's spring and soon I am going to be an honorary squirrel grandmother (or perhaps great-grandmother, not sure which generation of female I'm dealing with).  The squirrels were already busy frigging in the tree rigging at the end of January and shortly thereafter a female started rebuilding a nest in an abandoned spot in the gigantic double-trunked Chinese Elm close to my deck.  There weren't any leaves on the trees, needless to say, so she chewed up a ton of little twigs and branches to make her home, leaving an absolute mess behind of dropped branches and twigs on my frozen tundra, that was soon covered by a snow storm for several weeks.  But the second half of February and most of March proved above-normal temperatures and all the snow has melted away, the ground has thawed, making me itchy-fingered to get out there and start gardening.  That would be a big mistake.  Today, Winter in Wisconsin reminds us that we aren't safe from Arctic blasts until June, with a Nor'easter whipping gigantic waves off Lake Michigan and dropping us back into the teens windchill.  Brrrrrr.  But no snow - yet...

Here is a video of a rescued baby squirrel that touched my heart.  It's nearly a couple of years old now (from 2008).  Soon, I will be seeing three or four squirrel pups racing up and down that old Chinese Elm, brightening my days with a constant reminder that concrete and exhaust fumes and Ozone Alert Days are not all there is to life. 

Ahhh, I cannot wait until April 21st when tax season has ended and I'm relaxing with a Mai Tai at Isis' pool in sunny, warm and dry Las Vegas. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...