Friday, December 11, 2009

My Bare Naked Master Bedroom

I love how the color of the walls turned out! No matter how many paint samples you look at, and even bring home mini-paint samples and paint them on the walls, you really don't know what the final effect will be until the entire room has been painted. This picture doesn't do justice to the nuances of the color with the various levels of light that play about this small master bedroom (11' x 14'), "Powder Puff." It looks white in photo 1, but it's not white at all. Goodbye to the soft pink and grey floral scheme I had for 19 years. I loved it for the first 10 years here, and then, like lightning, my tastes changed and I wanted something different. But by then I had gotten really busy with other things related to chess, and it's only gotten busier since 1999/2000! And so I procrastinated for years until a few months ago my friend Ann told me about Kevin the Wonder Handyman. The rest, as they say, is herstory. Kevin did a first rate job painting out this room. I don't like this bare-bones look, but this is the look the real estate brokers PUSH in order to sell a home. I have lots of framed artwork and photographs that would flesh out the room and add some warmth and my personality to th walls, but I didn't put them up. They are currently stashed under the bed :) Also banished is my desk-top computer. The desk-top is now out of commission because in order to move it to the middle bedroom cum den, I had to disconnect it from the something-or-other and ever since then I have been unable to restore a network connection, no matter what I do. When Mr. Don arrives in less than 2 weeks I will put him to work on the Mystery of the Computer That Refuses to be Connected... My bedroom is formal room, I suppose, modeled after classic traditional design. The winter comforter is on the bed rather than the summer-weight taupe/beige/white scalloped edge quilted toile-patterned coverlet with matching pillow shams. LOL! The red/white/black logger plaid is plush, lush and heavy. I love to snuggle under it this time of year since I keep the house at a chill 64-65 degrees F and it never fails to keep me toasty. Out of view is a deep gold and cream spiral pattern rug on the right side of the bed that cushions my feet with warmth when I get in and out of "my side" of the bed. I broke the rules when I took these photos by restoring to its place of honor on the triple dresser my old jewelry box that was given to me as a gift by my daddy when I was 7 years old. I have kept it safe and sound all the 51 years since. It is a sort of Nile Green color, faux alligator skin! It has a build-up of discoloration over the years that I occasionally attempt to wipe away with a barely damp cloth, and a few dents and one small tear (when did that happen???) on the top. Otherwise it is in perfect condition. The inside lining is pristine. I have this box filled with cheap costume and the real-thing jewelry. It, and another smaller oriental-styled rosewood jewelry box that Mr. Don gifted to me several years ago, hold my most valuable possessions. This bedroom set is old and not good quality, being a combination of some wood, "wood product" and plastic finished to look like wood. I still vividly remember falling in love with it when I visited the Hack's Furniture Store on 13th and Mitchell Streets in the early 70's, and I paid some $300 for the full-sized headboard and bed frame, matress set, night stand, bureau and the triple mirror and dresser. That was totally high-end to me back then, when my take-home pay was $78.75 a week. I still remember! I was on cloud nine. I have lovingly cared for this suite of furniture since I first purchased it when I didn't know any better and thought it the height of fashion and quality. I still love the delicate lines of the "French Provincial" style, the "fruitwood" finish and the hardware. It is exquisitely turned and actually made out of metal. I just don't know what kind of metal, but with more than 30 years of wear and tear none of the goldish/bronze colored finish has worn off. This set has held up through dozens of moves since my early 20's, to my first home in 1986, to this, my second home, in 1990. The finish on the tops of the dressers and nightstand is somewhat the worse for wear from years of holding plants, books, belts, tons of junk, etc. etc. I have water circles that raised the grain of the real wood tops where water overflowed from the cache pots, and various marks, scuffs and scratches - both shallow and deep, nail polish spills clean up over the years, etc. etc. The finish could be fixed, I suppose. Except I like the worn, scuffed and marked-up look. This furniture has traveled with me through my adult life. I am not yet ready to "fix it," let alone say goodbye to it. Wherever my new house will be, this not-quite-vintage cheapo faux French Provincial bedroom set will come with me. BTW, the mattresses are relatively new. I finally replaced the original mattresses (!!!) in 2002 with a nice plush set made locally by Verlo. No more back aches, but I went from a what was then "standard" depth mattress of 7 inches to 15 inches. I had to get all new sheets! I am stuck with four sets of pink and white/pink and black/pink and beige/pink and grey sheet sets that don't fit any modern-day mattress. I have been amazingly reluctant to part with those sets, but with selling this house, the linen closet MUST be cleaned out, and so those extinct but still pristine condition double-bed size sheet sets will be donated to the Purple Heart. The Purple Heart was the first charity that called as I happened to be making a list of things to clear out, and so they are the winner. I have been donating things to them for a long time and yet the closet never seems to be emptier, so they regularly call. The Purple Heart charity is coming by on December 15th to pick up my latest donations. Little do they know all I am intending to donate. I hope they have a big truck! The boxes and double-bagged in giant black plastic lawn bags will be overflowing my tiny front porch! Tomorrow I grudgingly agreed to another showing, sometime between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. allowing another invasion of my sacred space, when I will have to disappear. My father's gift jewelry box has already been hidden away, which makes me very sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...