Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shira Chess Challenge for Charity: Game 1

Hola! Shira and I played the first game of our match this morning! What a fiasco! Even though I signed in 15 minutes early at chess.com, I couldn't figure out how to use the thing - not exactly intuitive for my level of computer incompetence! I should have tried a practice game at chess.com with Shira before D-Day. Live and learn. Finally, with emails and a telephone call from Shira, we were able to get on the same live gameboard and the game started. I thought it was going okay for me - I was white starting out, but then disaster struck! Shira, who was playing from a Starbucks because she doesn't have internet where she's staying, got disconnected. All of a sudden a message flashed up on my screen that I'd won by resignation, which I misunderstood at first thinking that it had meant Shira had won because I'd resigned, but I hadn't! I had no idea what was going on and was panicking and really upset (I could use other words to describe my emotional state at the time, but I am attempting to be restrained) at that stupid interface! Resign - me? On like move 17? No way! I'd at least play to move 20. Phone rings - it's Shira - she got bounced off the internet! Oh @!%$&^$$*@! And a few more $%@*%">$%@*%@ just for good measure. What to do? We ended up playing a game on the regular chess interface at chess.com - without clocks. This time I'm black. We started right about 10:30 a.m. and the game ended shortly before noon - I was checkmated! Ach! My poor nerves. Still, that's no excuse. I made some REALLY DUMB MOVES - particularly the last one, LOL! Oh well. Here's our game in PGN - at first I couldn't even figure out how to lift THAT from chess.com! When I clicked on the PGN link to "open" - all that happened is that my Chess Base Lite opened up (a tool that I've no real idea how to use). By trial and error I eventually discovered that at chess.com I can actually do a copy of the Moves List and paste it into a document. [Event "Online Chess"] [Site "Chess.com"] [Date "2009.09.05"] [Round "1"] [White "shirae"] [Black "JanXena"] [Result "1-0"] [WhiteElo "1361"] [BlackElo "1039"] [TimeControl "1 in 1 day"] [Termination "shirae won by checkmate"] 1.d4d5 2.Nf3Nf6 3.Bg5Nc6 4.e3Ne4 5.Bh4Bf5 6.Bd3Qd6 7.Nbd2O-O-O 8.O-Og6 9.Qe2h6 10.a3g5 11.Bg3Qd7 12.Ne5Nxe5 13.Bxe5f6 14.Bxe4Bxe4 15.Nxe4dxe4 16.Bg3h5 17.h3h4 18.Bh2Kb8 19.Qg4Qxg4 20.hxg4Rc8 21.c4e6 22.Rfd1Bd6 23.Rd2Bxh2+ 24.Kxh2b6 25.Rad1Rhd8 26.d5b5 27.dxe6Re8 28.cxb5Kb7 29.Rd7Rxe6 30.R1d4Kb6 31.a4Kc5 32.b4+Kb6 33.R4d5c6 (c6? Ohmygoddess, JanXena! What were you thinking? Actually, I totally missed the fact that Shira could/would advance the h file pawn, which is exactly what she did. Now how stupid am I? That's a hypothetical question, darlings!) I might have perhaps been able to stave off the inevitable for another move or two if I hadn't committed hari kiri on move 33. I honestly lost sight of the forest for the trees. As far as I can tell, though, with my limited knowledge, the game-turner was much earlier when I misplayed something - now I cannot remember what - on the right side of the board. I will take a look at this game and the other two that Shira and I will be playing the next two days, but not until this is all over! My heart can't take it. I suppose I should have a second and pour over the game to try and spot Shira's weaknesses and hunt down and eliminate all the myriad of mine - but honestly darlings, I need to vacuum, go to the supermarket, put the next load of laundry in, and then cut the front lawn. And just about the time the mosquitoes are coming out at 6 p.m., I might be able to sit down on the deck (after scrubbing off all the bird poop from the lawn chairs), put my feet up, and drown my sorrows in White Zinfandel :) Here are two photos that Shira took of her chess-playing nook at Starbucks! The first photo is a screen shot of our game in progress, I received it via email at 10:58 a.m. See you tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. - probably at chess.com because that is where all the information said we would be playing. Drat!

3 comments:

Laura Sherman said...

Ah, that's why we couldn't find your game.

OK, well don't be too hard on yourself. Remember, what you are doing is fantastic. Not only are you raising interest in chess, but your helping a charity! It's all good, as they say.

Good luck tomorrow!!

Jan said...

Hi Laura and Dan!

Yeah, it was really a bummer when Shira's connection went down. We were hoping people would be able to watch our game in progress and that was blown to smithereens. And we found ourselves with no way to readily communicate what was happening that caused our sudden change of plans. It was a nightmare (daymare?)!

We are not going to try live game at chess.com tomorrow. We do not want to start a game and run the risk that one of us will lose the connection again. It is too disrupting and very disheartening.

We will use the regular play chess interface at chess.com, without clocks, and self-time - that is, we will play from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon if necessary. I cannot time myself in any event - I do not own a chess clock! So, we're playing rather by the seat of our pants when it comes to our time.

Actually, I am proud of the way I played today. I lack experience and knowledge how to handle some situations - particularly in the end game. I fell far short there. I am still not sure that taking the queens off the board in Shira's offered queen swap was a mistake on my part, although it did not yield me the advantage I thought it could. I think the advantage was there - I just didn't have enough skill to be able to use it fully.

Playing against Shira, who has played a lot of OTB tournament games, I'm no match - yet. Playing online correspondence chess is not the same, although I found the practice games helpful because I am learning a little bit from each game.

I can see that I have improved in my play overall, and that is very encouraging. I have a LONG WAY to go and MUCH to learn. I foresee lessons in my future - I learn best with the personal interaction.

I have to say that unleashing this uber-competitive part of my personality is rather unsettling, after keeping it firmly leashed for so many years. I am not sure it is a good thing, but at my age, perhaps I am better equipped now to handle it - maybe.

Laura Sherman said...

Competition is fun, especially with the spirit that create here. I say go for it!!

Dan and I and Cole (our 5 year old son) all reviewed your game. We were impressed! You played very well, actually, despite the pressures you faced.

One little tip I'd have is to keep your king safe until more pieces are off the board. It's too tough to defend him in the middle of the board, against those strong rooks of hers.

Usually the strongest formation for protecting the king is to keep him behind a barricade of unmoved pawns. Even moving one pawn creates weaknesses.

BTW, I love that you castled queenside! Nice move.

Keep up the good work! We're looking forward to seeing tomorrow's game!!

Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...