Wednesday, June 3, 2009

2009 Subic International Open

The 2nd Subic International Open was held May 25 - 31, 2009 in the Philippines. (Image: IM Tania Sachdev, from 2007) Seventy-four (74) players competed. The winner (clear first by half a point) was GM Ehsan Ghaem Maghami (hope I have the name correctly) (IRI 2593), with 7.0/9. The best female finish was IM Tania Sachdev (IND 2423), in 18th place with 5.5. Other female finishers whose names I recognized: 38 WGM Mohota Nisha IND 2304 4,5 73 WIM Nadig Kruttika IND 2361 2,0 I did not recognize most of the names. Chess-results.com did not give indication of the sex of the player. I just don't have time to put each name into the FIDE registry to see if a player is M or F. I wish organizers would make this information readily available for future events. It would make my job a lot easier, and there are some folks out here in cyberspace who want to know who were the chess femmes who played in a given event and how they finished. I noted a lot of Chinese players whose names I did not recognize at all. No titles, but I am assuming most of those players were chess dudes, not chess femmes (although a few of them may be women). World, take notice - it seems likely the Chinese will only continue to develop and eventually dominate western chess if more of their players get chances to develop their talent in international competitions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...