Friday, January 9, 2009

Carmen Report: Photos from Egypt

Our friend from Madrid, Carmen Romero, widow of IM Ricardo Calvo (a chess historian and the mentor of our tiny "Tribe") spent the Christmas holiday on tour in Egypt this holiday season. Carmen is a noted chess historian in her own right and has presented many papers to gatherings of chess historians and chess collectors at symposia around the world. Carmen has offered her work for first internet publication at Goddesschess, for which we are very grateful. It is impossible to describe the depth of our affection and regard for our dear "W.I." and her unfailing support of the vision and mission of Goddesschess. Carmen read my post of yesterday about the discovery of the tomb of Queen Sesheshet, and emailed me the following information, along with two photographs taken at the Valley of the Kings during her recent holiday there over the Christmas vacation. Here is part of her email: Dear Patton [that is a nickname The Chief gave me], I have seen in the blog your post about Queen Shesheti in Saqqara. They are making continuous excavations in the "Kings's Valley", like in the "Queens's Valley", and in Saqqara. In the Spanish newspaper "EL PAIS" was an article about the few historical evidences on Sesheshet: she is mentioned as "Mother of the King" in the tomb of the Visir Mehu (I have seen) and, mainly in passing, as the mother of Teti, also in a passage about baldness in the medical papyrus [of] Ebers (very curious). Teti, according to [historian] Manetón, was murdered by eunuchs [of one or more of his wives], and the son of one of his wives became Pepi I. Best regardsWI Thank you, W.I.! I am not the best historian on ancient Egypt, and I may be wrong about this, but I believe that Pharaoh Pepi I ruled for about 40 years and was considered one of the greatest of all the Pharaohs. He was one of the last Pharaohs of the Old Kingdom. Here are the photos that W.I. sent - excavation in the Valley of the Kings: Egypt will continue to reveal her ancient mysteries to us long after I am gone - perhaps for the next 4,000 years! May we ALL learn to appreciate her precious gifts from the past.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...