Thursday, March 13, 2008

Celtic Dreams

Please check out the video accompanying this story, it's WAY COOL! Some years ago, after I treated myself to a matinee of "Lord of the Dance" in Las Vegas (I believe it was the 2001 trip), I took three older ladies from my church out for a special outing - we went down to the old Milwaukee Auditorium to see "Riverdance" on a Saturday afternoon in March. Oh, what a wonderful show, a show to make you stand up in the aisles and dance. Well, none of us did that - quite. Instead, we sat sedately in our seats but our legs and feet were moving like mad! I can't dance worth a fig, but watching those magical performances touched me in a way I can't describe. There is just something about the Irish dance (and the music, too) - Anyway, in honor of St. Patty's Day, please check out this wonderful story from The New York Times: For Bronx School’s Dancers, the Moves Are Irish and the accompanying video link. WONDERFUL! I dare you not to tap your toes and want to get up and dance too. The dancers are African-American, Hispanic (is the correct term now Latino?) and from lots of other cultures, but no Irish - and these kids had never heard of Ireland! WHAT? Now that's a separate commentary on the state of our schools these days - they no longer teach geography in grade school??? These kids have never heard of "Danny Boy" and seen "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby. Oy! Anyway, check it out, the video wrongly spelled "Keltic Dreams." Yes, I know I know, it's pronounced "Keltic" with a hard "k" sound, not a "cs" sound, but damn it, it's still spelled "Celtic" and, as Professor Chipping said in "Good Bye, Mr. Chips," he'd be damned if he pronounced Cicero as "Kickero!" Amen to that!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...